Series: Changes in your skin as you age: The 40s
Your skin undergoes several natural changes as you age, including a reduction in collagen, elastin and moisture that leads to fine lines and wrinkles. In your 40s, you’ll see signs of cumulative sun damage in the form of fine lines, wrinkles, sunspots, blotchiness and discoloration. By taking good care of your skin, you can slow the aging process and improve your skin’s health and appearance now and in future decades.
Changes to your skin in your 40s:
- Collagen and elastin levels continue to decline. Beginning at age 20, you’re losing 1 percent of your collagen per year.
- Lymphatic drainage slows, making it harder to remove toxins. Slower lymphatic drainage can cause puffiness around your eyes and cheeks.
- Oil production decreases, resulting in drier skin.
Challenges to healthy skin:
Menopause. During peri-menopause and menopause, estrogen levels decline. Estrogen helps keep your skin supple. The decrease in estrogen reduces the production of collagen, elastin and sebum (skin oil), resulting in fine lines, wrinkles and thinner, drier skin.
- Moisturize. Switch to a heavier moisturizer to combat dryness. Massage your skin gently as you apply moisturizer to help move lymphatic fluid around, reducing puffiness.
- Wear sunscreen every day. This crucial anti-aging strategy can’t be emphasized enough. Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher such as SkinFuse Shield Zinc Oxide 21%.
- Drink plenty of water. Hydrate your skin from the inside out by drinking at least 64 ounces of water daily and eating fruits and vegetables that have high water content (peaches, melon, tomatoes, cucumbers).
- Eat healthy fats. Eat plenty of unsaturated fats such as salmon, tuna, avocados and almonds to help lubricate your skin.
- Use skincare products containing vitamin C. Topical application of vitamin C for at least 12 weeks has been shown to increase collagen production and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
How micro-needling can help:
The SkinPen micro-needling procedure helps to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by assisting your skin’s natural ability to remodel existing collagen and elastin. SkinPen’s procedure can be tailored to your skin’s needs and has minimal side effects, so it’s appropriate for most skin types.
The skincare products in the Skinfuse Post Procedure Kit contain nutrients and other ingredients that assist in optimizing the results of micro-needling. The Skinfuse Fortify Vita C Serum contains vitamin C that aids in smoothing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and neutralizes damaging free radicals that prematurely age skin.
Contact your SkinPen provider to learn more about how SkinPen and the Skinfuse Post Procedure Kit can reverse the signs of aging, revive skin health and reveal beautiful skin at any age.